Guidelines for Touhou Project Fan Creators
（UPDATE：November 10, 2020）
In short, you may simply use your common sense if you're an individual or group (as opposed to a legal person) creating Fan Content (stuff you make based on Touhou Project) just for fun.
However, your Fan Content has to comply with the following rules:
Your Fan Content should always have:
- A clear note that your Fan Content is a fan work based on Touhou Project.
Your Fan Content should NEVER have:
- Anything that means to harm Touhou Project's reputation.
- Anything that infringes upon other intellectual property.
- Anything that means to mistake your Fan Content as one of the official Touhou Project titles.
- Anything that is extracted from official Touhou Project games.
- Ending scenes from official Touhou Project games.
- Anything that means to advertise personal beliefs beyond the bounds of fiction.
- Other Touhou Fan Content without the creator's permission.
- Excessive sexual content that is considered unlawful.
- Anything that promotes hatred against individuals or groups.
Though not relevant to Fan Content, posting or modifying photos of ZUN himself without ZUN's permission is prohibited.
In general, your Fan Content may only be distributed through platforms where:
- you can find official Touhou Project contents
- they are licensed or permitted by ZUN
Examples (includes but not limited to):
- Local doujin events in Japan
- Local doujin shops in Japan
- Events are explicitly permitted by ZUN
- Small home business (physical media only)
- Touhou Digital Music Distribution
- Local events with admission fees on an individual scale
Browser games and mobile games can only be released as free-to-play games. Other forms of monetizations such as in-app advertisement and ad removal as an in-app purchase are allowed.
Fan-made video content, including let's play videos, may be uploaded through video-sharing platforms alike.
If you have obtained an explicit license from Team Shanghai Alice, please clarify such an association in your Fan Content.
You are solely responsible for any troubles caused by your Fan Content. Under no circumstances will Team Shanghai Alice be held responsible for any damages.
If you are a legal person creating Fan Content as a business activity, please contact us.
The intention of this guideline is to provide fan creators with a brief understanding of dos and don'ts in a lenient manner.
We do not answer any questions from individuals or groups regarding these guidelines and Fan Content policy.
We may contact you directly if we consider your Fan Content to be a serious violation of our guidelines.
We reserve the right to update this guideline without any notices.
About previous guidelines
Previous guidelines provided by ZUN are still considered as effective. For details that are not included in this guideline, please consult previous guidelines linked below.
- Relevant Pages of Team Shanghai Alice's Fan Content Policy (Mr. Takker's website)
- Details regarding "One-day Permission" and business activity (published on Dec. 10th, 2008)
- Contact Form for Legal Person (published on Feb. 14th, 2011)
Special thanks to Mr. Takker for hosting Touhou Project creator guidelines ever since.